Sunday, September 29, 2013

1643 Vogue Basic Design Jacket - Mini Wardrobe Contest

I modified this out of print pattern quite a bit, including making it reversible.




Pattern Description: Out of print pattern.  Semi-fitted, lined, above or below hip jacket has neckline variations, shoulder pads, princess seams and long, two-piece sleeves with mock vent and button trim.

Pattern Sizing: Multi - Mine was an 18-20-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Not really, because I modified the heck out of it!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Honestly I didn't follow the directions, because I modified the jacket to be reversible.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Based on the pattern images, I assumed the pattern was a little more fitted.

Fabric Used:  The fabrics I used had been in my stash for a significant amount of time.  The purple was a medium weight fabric.  The stripe was very lightweight.  I had very little fabric left and had to piece the purple on the lapels and collar and didn't have enough fabric to make a deep lapel.


PhotoShopped sketch
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I found this gorgeous black and white striped jacket and wanted to use a fun striped fabric from my stash. To match the inspiration jacket, I altered view C to have pointed lapels and cut the front corners off the hem.   Then I tailored the whole thing to be more form fitting and adjusted for a full bust.

I decided to make the jacket reversible so I didn't use facings.  I didn't have enough of either fabric for a full length sleeve so I altered it to 3/4 sleeves.  The purple pockets on the striped side are faux. I put buttonholes on both sides and sewed the buttons together so that they work like cuff links.  I used a covered button covered in the purple fabric for one side of the buttons.
Would you sew it again?  Maybe.  It's very basic.  I would definitely use a heavier fabric next time or interface the heck out of everything.
Would you recommend it to others?  Sure.
Conclusion:  This is a very versatile piece for the Mini Wardrobe contest.  It can be worn 3 ways. Stripe side with purple buttons.  Purple side with gold buttons.  Purple side - open with the strip side showing and the purple buttons in the top button holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will be posted once approved.